It’s unfortunate that the average person doesn’t know much about computers. That means they can’t understand what people are talking about when something goes wrong with their computer, and it also makes them vulnerable to fraudsters who want to take advantage of them.
However, there are some basic terms related to computers that everyone should be familiar with in order to avoid being taken in by a scam or paying too much for an unnecessary repair. Here is a list of computer terms starts with the letter I:
Computer Terms that Start with the Letter I
- Image – An image is a file that contains an image, such as a picture or drawing. Graphics files are images.
- Input – Data sent to the computer is input. Input can be text or pictures if you’re using a word processing or graphic program, respectively.
- Interconnectivity – The term interconnectivity refers to how well different devices and programs work together. When different parts of your system can easily connect and share information it is said to have high interconnectivity. Conversely, if there are problems sharing data between two systems their connection would be described as low interconnectivity.
- IP Address – An IP address is a code that identifies your device on the internet so that other computers will know where you are when they connect with you.
- Internet Service Provider (ISP) – An internet service provider is a company that sends and receives data on the internet. You must have an ISP if you want to go online using your computer.
- Invert – If someone inverts a document, file, or picture they make its colors negative and turn the image upside down. This allows users with some disabilities who cannot perceive images normally see them correctly.
- Input/Output (I/O) Port – An input/output port is used for connecting hardware devices like printers, scanners, cameras, mp3 players, game consoles, etc. to your computer system by using cables.