Table of Contents
What Does 5G Mean?
5G broadband is the next generation of high-speed internet. It will provide faster download speeds and help to create a safer, more secure, and more efficient society for everyone. 5G stands for fifth-generation wireless technology, which is an improvement on 4G LTE (long term evolution) that we currently have today. This new technology has been in development since 2009 and will be introduced over time starting in 2020 – but what does it mean?
The first thing you will notice with this new technology is that it will be faster. You’ll have a download speed of up to 20 gigabits per second (Gbps) – which is double what we currently get today! Imagine being able to download a full-length HD movie in just two seconds or an entire album on iTunes in less than ten seconds.
This next generation of wireless also promises much greater coverage, reliability and security for everyone who uses it. With the help of improved mobile networks and public safety communications systems, people living in rural communities can finally enjoy fast internet connections like those enjoyed by their city counterparts. And with increased capacity available through these new networks, emergency response teams won’t be slowed down while communicating with one another.
The FCC has already set up the “Unlicensed National Information Infrastructure” which is a framework for using unoccupied bandwidth that will allow us to expand broadband service beyond rural and underserved areas, bringing it into cities as well. People can use this unlocked spectrum on their own devices, at no cost to them or taxpayers!
Benefits of 5G
The benefits of using this technology are almost endless.
More and more people will be able to enjoy high speed internet access, especially in rural areas where it’s traditionally been hard to provide service (due to a lack of infrastructure).
The internet has become a fundamental part of our lives, but the current 4G LTE network isn’t able to keep up with demand. This means that we are seeing slower download speeds and more dropped calls. Not only this, but it also leaves us vulnerable to cyber attacks as the current system can be easily hacked into. 5G will solve these problems by providing faster data transmission speeds, enhanced security features and improved battery life for mobile devices. It will also help to create better self-driving cars and virtual reality experiences which could change the way we live forever!
- 5G will be able to provide higher speeds than 4G.
- With 5G, you can expect your phone battery to last longer because of the increased transmission speed.
- You’ll also have better coverage with 5G – it’s not as easy for signals to get lost in areas with a lot of interference.
- The latency rate is much lower with 5G networks so this means that you’ll be able to download content faster and stream videos more smoothly.
- If you live in an area where there are frequent power outages, then having a wireless connection could make your life easier because you won’t have any interruptions or delays when trying to do work or watch movies on your device.
- There are also many other benefits associated with having a fast internet connection like being able to access information quicker and communicating more efficiently over video chat apps like Skype and FaceTime.
There’s no doubt about it: The FCC plan to open up new spectrum for broadband use is an excellent idea!