ASP.NET is a web development framework created by Microsoft that allows developers to build dynamic websites, web applications, and web services. It is a part of the .NET platform and supports a variety of programming languages such as C#, Visual Basic, and F#.
ASP.NET offers a range of tools and features to simplify the development process, including a drag-and-drop user interface designer, pre-built application templates, and built-in security features. It also supports a wide range of third-party libraries and frameworks, making it easy to integrate with other technologies.
ASP.NET can be used to build a variety of web applications, including e-commerce websites, social networking platforms, and enterprise-level applications. It provides a robust and scalable architecture that is well-suited to handling complex business logic and high-traffic websites.
As opposed to classic ASP, it introduces an object-oriented approach to coding with the concept of ‘Web Pages’, made up of ‘Web Controls’ and ‘Code Behind’.
The ASP.NET framework utilizes a very large number of frameworks, namely the .NET Framework. The framework contains all the basic features including components such as:
- Data Access layer (ADO.Net)
- HTTP Handlers & Modules
- Type System (Reflection)
It also includes many other features for advanced server-side development like Session, Browsing, Email, XML/XSLT processing, Web Services, etc… It allows you to write your code in ASP or VB depending on your preferences. There are some GUI tools that allow you to design the interface of your website without writing any line of code. However, the preprocessed HTML pages are actually created by code behind which may lead to redundant and error-prone coding work. The main advantage of this approach is that you can write your web application in any language supported by .NET Framework (at present C# or VB).
ASP.NET Tutorials and Courses
- Become a Full-stack .NET Developer – In this course, you’re going to learn the core front-end and back-end skills that every full-stack. NET developers must know. The course covers building beautiful user interfaces, building back-end APIs, object-oriented programming, clean architecture, and automated testing, and you’re going to learn all these in the context of a real-world application.
- ASP.NET MVC Step by Step – Do you want to learn ASP.NET MVC from the basics to the advanced? This list contains 19 videos covering basic components.
- Getting started with ASP.NET MVC 5 – This tutorial teaches ASP.NET Core MVC with controllers and views. Razor Pages is a new alternative in ASP.NET Core 2.0, a page-based programming model that makes building web UI easier and more productive. We recommend you try the Razor Pages tutorial before the MVC version.
- The Complete ASP.NET MVC 5 Course – In 7.5 hours of high-quality content (equivalent to a 500-page book), you’ll learn how to build and deploy fast and secure web applications with ASP.NET MVC 5, including implementing CRUD operations, building forms with validation, building RESTful services using ASP.NET Web API, using Entity Framework code-first workflow to build a model, implementing security, authentication, and authorization using ASP.NET Identity, using powerful jQuery plugins, and much more…
- Creating Your First ASP.NET MVC Website – In this workshop, you’ll learn how to create an ASP.NET MVC website using Visual Studio.
- ASP.NET MVC 5 Fundamentals – ASP.NET MVC 5 Fundamentals covers all the new features of ASP.NET MVC 5, as well as the new features for web developers in Visual Studio 2013, including WebApi 2, OWIN, Katana, SignalR, and Entity Framework version 6.
- ASP.NET Core Tutorial – This ASP.NET Core tutorial will teach you the basics of building an ASP.NET Core MVC web application using Visual Studio 2017.
- Modernize ASP.NET Web Apps with Azure App Service – This video is practical training in using Azure App Service in a fast and effective way to refactor your ASP.NET applications on the cloud, it covers the most relevant topics to help you understand Azure and Azure App Service functionalities and modernize your ASP.NET applications.