We all know that websites are a necessary part of doing business in the modern world. But did you know that there are over 1 billion active websites currently online? Or that the first website didn’t go live until August 1991? Here are 12 illuminating facts and stats about websites that may surprise you.
- It’s estimated that there are currently around 1.2 billion websites online. However, it’s important to note that not all of these websites are active. In fact, it’s estimated that less than 200 million websites are currently active.
- On August 6, 1991, the world’s first website went live. Tim Berners-Lee, a British computer scientist, published the site while working at CERN. The website was simple, consisting of a few hyperlinked pages about the work being done at CERN. However, it laid the foundation for the millions of websites that exist today.
- The URL of the first website is http://info.cern.ch/. It still exists today.
- The average person spends nearly 190 minutes on the internet daily. That’s nearly 3 hours of our lives spent online! It’s no wonder that the internet has become such an integral part of our lives.
- It took until 1994 for the first graphical web browser, Mosaic, to be created. Later its name was changed to Netscape Navigator. It was developed by Netscape Communications Corporation.
- According to Alexa.com, a website that tracks global internet traffic, the most popular website in the world is Google.com. Google receives over 1 billion unique visitors per month, more than any other website.
- According to Adobe, 6. 38% of users will simply leave a site if the content or layout isn’t attractive. First impressions are important online, and if you want to keep people engaged with your site, you need to make sure that it’s visually appealing and easy to navigate.
- Have you ever found yourself standing in the checkout line with a seemingly innocuous item in your hand, only to convince yourself that you absolutely need it? If so, you’re not alone. A study found that 78% of people have admitted to making purchase decisions based on their emotions.
- By the year 2022, internet users spend an average of 147 minutes each day on social media platforms. That’s more than two hours per day spent on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, and Instagram. And that number is only going to grow in the coming years.
- When it comes to website design, it’s clear that people have strong opinions. 94% of complaints related to websites are due to design flaws. This is hardly surprising, as poor design can make a website difficult to navigate and hard on the eyes.
- Today, over 92% of all internet searches are done on smartphones and tablets. The combination of faster connections and larger screens has made it much easier to find the information you need when you’re on the go. What’s more, the widespread adoption of voice-based assistants like Siri and Alexa has made it even easier to search for information hands-free.
- Parallax scrolling on websites has become increasingly popular in recent years. This scrolling technique creates an illusion of depth by making the background move more slowly than the foreground. This can be used to create an immersive experience for users as they scroll through a website.
Did you find all of these facts about websites as interesting as we did? Websites are an integral part of our lives – we use them for everything from entertainment to work purposes – so it’s no wonder there are so many incredible statistics out there about them!