Smartphones have made everything reachable and accessible through a touch. These devices have become an important part of our lives that it’s usually the first thing we check in the morning and the last thing we look at before going to bed. You can entertain yourself with movies, games, or music or read the latest news on your phone. There are 2 types of smartphones that are popular these days, one runs Android OS , and one runs iOS.
What is a smartphone?
A smartphone is a mobile phone with an advanced operating system which includes features like checking email, browsing the internet, and social media. Smartphones typically have more processing power than your average cell phone as they are running on either Google’s Android or Apple’s iOS systems (or other proprietary operating systems), but can also come in many different shapes such as large phones, flip-style models, small candy bar devices. There are many benefits to owning a smartphone.
Functions of a smartphone:
- A smartphone can be used as a phone, for sending text messages, and taking photos.
- It can also be used to browse the internet, play games, or download apps.
- There are many different types of smartphones that serve various functions.
- Some examples include Apple’s iPhone XS Max which has a large screen and is designed for gaming purposes while Samsung Galaxy S10e is smaller with a more compact design.
- All phones have some basic features such as texting, calling, emailing and browsing the web but they vary in their capabilities depending on what you need them for.
- Most people use their phone to take pictures these days so it’s important to make sure your camera is good quality so you don’t end up with blurry images from low light or bad angles.
A smartphone can have their functions extended by downloading apps. Some examples:
- Apps – These are programs that you can download onto your phone.
- Camera – If you have a smartphone, then it has a camera with which you can take photos and videos.
- GPS navigation system – this is the system that tells you where to go based on your current location.
- Calculator – this is an app for basic calculations like adding up the cost of groceries or calculating how much money you’ll need for retirement.
- Alarm clock – this is another app that wakes people up in the morning so they don’t oversleep their alarm clocks.
- Calendar – this lets people keep track of what’s going on when, such as meetings and appointments.
Popular types of smartphones
There used to be many phone types before. Nowadays, there are 2 different types of smartphones that take over the market.
Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel. It was bought and developed by Google with the purpose of making it as the main OS for mobile devices.
An android phone is a type of mobile device that runs on the Android operating system. The two most popular models are Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel. There are many different brands, but these two seem to be at the top of their game. I’m going to talk about what makes them so great and why you should consider one if you’re in the market for a new smart phone.
Android phones are loaded with Google services, including Google Search, Google Drive, Gmail, Maps and more. You can use an Android phone even if you don’t have a Gmail account. Some of the most popular phone brands that are powered by the Android OS include the Samsung Galaxy, Pixel, Xiaomi, Huawei. Android phones have pre-loaded applications. You can get Android phones from Virgin Mobile, AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, U.S. Cellular, and T-Mobile.
Apple is a company that has made an impact on the world for over 40 years. They have changed the way people interact with computers and how they communicate with each other. One of their most popular products, the iPhone, is a smartphone that can do everything from making calls to checking email to playing games. It has been the best-selling smartphone in the United States for several years, as well as one of the longest running models in world history.
The iPhone is a smartphone made by Apple that combines a computer, music player, digital camera and cellular phone into one device with a touchscreen interface.
The iPhones are powered by Apple’s iOS and have pre-loaded apps like FaceTime, Siri, and Safari. Siri works as your personal digital assistant. It reminds you of appointments and allows you to play your favorite songs hands-free by simply speaking the title of the song into the phone. iPhones are available through Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint. You will also find paid and free applications on Apple’s App Store.
These smartphone wasn’t continued or just takes a small percentage of the smartphone market.
Amazon’s Fire Phone
The Amazon Fire Phone is a new phone that was released on July 25, 2014. Amazon’s Fire Phone is based on Android OS with its own customization.
Amazon’s Fire Phone is a smartphone that runs on Android, but has features unlike any other phone. It includes innovative technology like Dynamic Perspective which lets users interact with the device in three-dimensional space. The Fire Phone has an excellent camera and offers access to Amazon’s music service, Prime Instant Video, and Kindle eBooks.
Amazon’s Fire Phone features Silk browser, Kindle app, Amazon Music, and Amazon Instant. You can also buy TV shows, apps, and movies from Amazon through the phone. Amazon’s Fire Phone features Fire Technology, which can immediately recognize bar and QR codes, songs, and TV shows. It also comes with free video chat support and access to Amazon Prime for 1 year, as well as free shipping on all Amazon orders. Amazon’s Fire Phone is available through AT&T.
Windows phones are powered by Microsoft’s Windows operating system for mobile. They feature Microsoft products like Bing, OneDrive, and Xbox. Their AI assistant manager is Cortana, a personal assistant that can give birthday reminders, help you avoid traffic, and more. You will find paid and free applications on Window’s Phone App Store.
Some of the best Windows phones include the Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 1020, Nokia Lumia 1520, and Nokia Lumia 635. Windows phones also use Live Tiles, which is one of the main features of Windows 8 for personal computers. Live Tiles enabled apps to display information on the phone’s home screen.
Windows phone was discontinued. Nokia is now making Android phone only.
KDE Community tries to bring Linux to smartphone via the first KDE-powered phone, Pine64. The community edition includes most of the essential features a smartphone user would expect and its functionalities increase day by day.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Android Phones
These days, technology has totally taken over the lives of people. Just envision a life with no smartphone. Isn’t it impossible? To this day and age, all people make use of Android phones. It cannot be disputed that these devices have really made the lives of people simpler. However, all the things that the world has to offer have both sides – advantages and disadvantages.
The point is that nowadays, people have this opportunity where they can obviously purchase a smartphone-based on their budgets due to the massive availability in its various price ranges, its utilization has turned out to be even more well-known. Well, it is undoubtedly that the Android phone is an excellent invention but has detriments as well. Android was invented by Google and is now the most popular mobile operating system worldwide. Companies manufacturing mobile phones apart from Apple make use of the operating system of Android. This is more dependable and accessible but has disadvantages as well.
- Provides several apps – for the users, Android does not disappoint in terms of variety. It provides a variety of applications with the same functions, which gives the users an equal opportunity to decide based on their necessities.
- Supports third-party applications – users can even appreciate installing third-party applications by downloading them from a variety of websites. Once more, this kind of flexibility enables them to become more adaptable to their preferences.
- Internet sharing to other devices – the feature to share the World Wide Web via USB tethering or mobile hotspot enables sharing of mobile data with a variety of mobile devices. People can easily make use of the mobile data using the laptop by just turning the hotspot on or can share the data with other members of the family in a similar way. Password security makes sure that member who is unapproved cannot access the data.
- Reminder of notifications – there is at all times a remembrance of notification on Android phone’s home screen. All types of notifications that are critical for busy people, such as missed calls, emails, SMS, and others that need an application to remind the appointments and schedules. The most recent technologies have even included a LED indicator that enlightens once there’s a reminder.
- Multitasking – Android phones can function in a variety of applications at once. For instance, while navigating a social media website, the user can hear songs simultaneously.
- Larger screen – any Android phone offers a larger screen at cheap prices than an iPhone.
- Expandable memory – different from Apple smartphones, an Android phone supports expandable memory preference. Once a user has many data to store, and its present memory is not supporting it, it can attach the external memory card in order to make the phone battery bigger.
- Functioning of applications in a background – as soon as the user decides to switch an application to the other, there are possibilities that the application the user switches will stay functional and will expand the battery and the background’s data. The user might not be able to realize it, but it is the reason why the battery of the mobile phone easily drains out.
- Slowly running – the operating system takes up a variety of storage, and there are several default applications with the operating system. Hence, the Android phone with low specs will possibly be functioning slow.
- Overheating – there is no definite cause why the Android phone overheats, but if the user happens to make use of a variety of applications at the same time or utilize it for long, it begins to heat extensively and even begins to provide warnings.
- Corrupt virus protection – the most recent versions of Android phones have begun enhancing the protection of viruses, but the operating system is not the latest version. The very point that a user can be able to download applications from external sources and websites is a benefit and a detriment as well since it improves the possibilities of having a virus come into the operating system.
- Android phones require active internet connectivity. Hence, there must be a GPRS online connection in the area of the user in order for the mobile phone to be prepared to browse the internet based on the needs of the user.
- Some Android phones become slow as soon as the user installs a variety of applications. Majority of the Android phones come with touch screen features since it does not use a keypad.
- People who are purchasing a costly Android phone will not rule the possibility that there are a variety of smartphones out there that are available in the market for inexpensive prices that run on Android.
In general, Android phones are one of the best devices ever created to make the lives of users simpler and faster. However, similar to other equipment and devices, Android phones too have their advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages and Disadvantages of iPhones
The iPhone is a family of smartphones invented by Apple. Though released initially as a mobile phone in order to make communications simpler and faster, the iPhone these days can perform almost everything the user wants, from being present at online meetings to get a PowerPoint presentation ready. These kinds of smartphones are regarded as among the finest inventions of the century because of their impact to a lot of people. As of 2018, more than 2 billion iPhones were purchased all over the world. iPhones are powerful, minimalist, and sleek.
Every production of iPhones makes use of iOS, which means the iPhone Operating System, a developed operating system by Apple-exclusive only for its devices. The original iPhone generation was released in 2007, with a catchphrase of “This is just the start,” and for more than a decade, iPhones have turned out to be the most recognized smartphone ever invented.
- Apple Ecosystem – iPhones are perfect for people who own other devices of Apple, including Apple Watch, iPads, or MacBooks. Connecting a device with the other is extremely convenient and seamless. iPhones are very handy if a person needs to transfer photos or files from the laptop to the mobile phone, or vice versa. macOS and Apple iOS have improved to the degree where the user can begin watching a movie on the phone and watch it again later, even on the laptop.
- A device for everyone – two years ago, a brand-new iPhone would cost almost 1200 dollars, which is very expensive for a phone. On the other hand, a lot of things have changed these days. People can be able to purchase an iPhone SE for only 400 dollars or an iPhone 11 for just 700 dollars, or even an iPhone 11 pro for just 900 dollars. This provides the user a variety of options to select from, and they will no longer have to break the bank to purchase a new phone.
- iCloud is an Apple cloud storage feature. When it is turned on, iCloud can automatically save the photos and files to the cloud as their backup if the device is stolen or lost. In addition, users can access the iCloud with the email wherever as long as there is internet access. It is actually beneficial, and users will no longer require a pen-drive or a consequent storage device since everything is already included in the cloud.
- Simple user-interface – iPhones have an unsophisticated interface, and the resemblance of the user-interface between all the devices of Apple make it absolutely simple to access. In addition, iPhones make sure that all functions and applications are being carried out the way it aims to which enables for basic user experience. While Android has a lot of choices and freedom, users will find it quite hard to use.
- Technology experts say that the processor of iPhones is always beneficial compared with Android phones. The most recent iPhone has a single-core bench marking of 1337,432 than the S20. This indicates that an iPhone is a faster, better processor compared to other brands.
- While users have the liberty of customization on Android, it might seem costly. Android phones are simple to use, and hackers are able to corrupt the files or even copy the personal details of the user. With iPhones, this only occurs very rarely as everything goes through the firewall of Apple first. On the other hand, people need to always monitor prior to downloading files.
- The Apple Ecosystem is both a curse and a benefit. Once the user gets in, it is quite hard to get out. The ecosystem of Apple is basically there in order to make users buy more products of Apple. People will tend to buy a MacBook if they already own an iPhone compared to a Windows laptop. In this way, people will not be able to recognize if other brands have much better devices, and they will wait until Apple updates the earlier model.
- Overpriced – while products are extremely sleek and beautiful, prices for products of Apple are very high. Brands such as One Plus are extremely pushing hard on developing cheap phones that people will feel cheated for paying a lot just to purchase an Apple product.
- Less storage – iPhones do not feature SD card slots, so the impression of upgrading the storage after purchasing the mobile phone is not a possibility. Hence, people will most possibly need to purchase a pricy internal storage higher version.
iPhones are excellent smartphones and absolutely can become an eminent choice. However, it is still best to take the alternatives into consideration. There are a variety of smartphones that are quite inexpensive that function very well. On the other hand, for people who have a MacBook or other products of Apple, it is highly recommended to purchase an iPhone.