C is a general-purpose PL (programming language) that can be used to build software such as compilers, operating systems, and databases. It supports lexical variable scope, recursion, and structured programming. Here are the 5 best tutorials and courses to learn C.
C was developed initially to write the Unix operating systems and later on various other applications like embedded software, graphical user interfaces (GUIs), Numerical Analysis Programs etc…
We generally categorize C under ‘Low level’ programming language. C is ‘Low level’ as it directly interacts with the hardware, such as memory, registers and ports. So if you are not comfortable with Memory Addressing , register addressing and port addressing then its time for you to learn these three topics carefully.
Tutorials and Courses
- Advanced C Programming: Pointers – In this course, you will learn about pointer arithmetic, memory allocation, pointer variables, and indirection, using function pointers as well as creating and maintaining linked lists. You will know how pointers work and how to make sure that it won’t ruin your program. This course is designed for programmers who are already knowledgeable in C programming. It has concise, tightly-targeted lessons that explain how to use queues and stacks, how to avoid common problems such as memory leaks and more. The course provides the source code for the sample programs so that you can run your code in your preferred code editor or C IDE.
- C Programming with Linux – This course covers the basics of Linux and computer programming. You will learn how to debug and develop code, optimize, manipulate, and observe computer memory using pointers as well as implement, assess, and interpret computer algorithms in the C language. The course also covers compiling C code with Linux, manipulating the command line and managing files, memory, and processes.
- C Programming For Beginners – C Programming For Beginners teaches the basics of programming and the complexities of addresses, File IO and pointers. The course also covers the fundamentals of the C language, advanced topics like stack and heap, binary file IO and memory allocation, and how to program on Windows or Mac. This course is ideal for beginners, cross-platform developers, programmers switching to the C language from other PLs such as Ruby, Python, and Java or those who need to program Objective-C or C++.
- Learn C The Hard Way – This book teaches defensive programming and robust C coding strategies on real hardware instead of pedantic theory and abstract machines. Readers are taught important topics such as automated testing, data structures, and algorithms by breaking their code.
- Pointers and Memory – Pointers and Memory is a 31-page book that covers the basics of programming as well as memory and pointers in different programming languages such as C and C++. You will learn how memory and pointers function and how you can use them. The course also covers allocation and deallocation, pointer assignment, local memory, ampersand operator, NULL pointer, dynamic heap memory, memory leaks, dereference operation, and reference parameters.
Other tools and resources about C can be found on C++.