WebP is an image file format that supports both lossless image extractions of digital images. The format can shrink image file size by up to 34% compared to JPEG and PNG images while maintaining top quality. WebP images are developed to ensure speedup by allowing developers to use rich pictures. WebP format also embraces animated pictures, with more functionality planned in the upcoming years.
With improved web page load times and several pages, the WebP system can help generate brighter, more colorful pictures that make the web move quicker. The main use instances of the other common formats – JPEG, PNG, and GIF – are supported by WebP animation.
This is the real reason behind the popularity of WebP files in recent years. Most of the web browsers have started providing Webp file format for faster access and benefits.
Table of Contents
Why choose WebP file over other formats?
- Takes less time to load – Pages with WebP pictures work quickly due to their smaller file sizes. Every second of page loading decreases user satisfaction by 16 percent, and one out of every four users will leave your site if it does not open in four seconds.
- Less media storage – WebP files take less media storage which means people with less storage or minimum storage can make use of Webp file images. The websites with a heavy load of pictures are benefitted and also those who want to save money on web hosting can benefit from Webp files.
- Animation and Opaque – The most essential feature of Webp image file format is that it is the only file format that accepts transparent images that are in PNG format and can convert animations such as Gifs easily.
- Fast Results – Webp file goal is to provide quicker page loads with less bandwidth usage while also guaranteeing that inconsistent browsers are served JPEG/PNG automatically.
- Convertio – This free online tool can convert most popular image formats to WebP.
- WinZip – Anyone knows that WinZip is a file and folder compressor software but not many know that it has converter feature.
- Step 1: Open the WinZip application.
- Step 2: On the right-hand side, turn on “Convert Photos” then click on options and select “Convert Photo Settings” to choose the format you wish to convert to.
- Step 3: Drag and drop the photo you would like to convert and it will be automatically converted to WebP format.